Friday, May 31, 2013

The ER and Stitches

I am very surprised that with two boys it has taken us this long to have our first visit to the ER and stitches. On Wednesday evening we went some friends to the new Willie's Roadhouse that opened here in town. While we were waiting for our food the kids were playing outside in the sandbox areas. They also had an area for like bean bad toss. Well, Zach was walking down one of the boards that you toss the bean bag in and fell on the granite gravel splitting his knee open in two spots. As soon as I saw his boo boo I knew we were going to be having our first ER visit and stitches. Thankful, right across the street they had just opened up a stand alone ER. So the trip over was very short.

Once we arrived, they were very quick to get him back in a room and check him out. He was pretty freaked out about the whole thing, but once they put some numbing medicine on it and gave him a Popsicle he calmed down, even enough to fall a sleep. While, waiting for the numbing medicine to take affect Chris left to go get Ryan and MaKinley who we left with our friends and was going to take them to Grandma's house. Well, while he was gone the doctor came in to start the stitches. As soon as he started to clean out the wound Zach woke up and freaked out again. He cried the whole time, even after being given some lidocaine shots to numb it some more. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through as a mom. I can do shots, because I know it is good for them, but this was a totally different thing and Chris was not back yet so I was all on my own. By the time they were done Zach had six stitches on each cut. A total of 12 all together. Daddy then arrived with Ryan and MaKinley in tow and we were done and on our way.

I have to say Zach was such a trooper and the lidocaine did finally take affect, because by the time we got to Grandma's house so we could eat our dinner he was feeling no pain.






No comments:

Post a Comment